Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The power of steam

Not all that glitters is gold, right? That was one of my grandmother's little nuggets of wisdom... she was famous for those, I have to say. Or maybe it was infamous. The fact that I remember it is probably a testimony to her genius or at least to her power of repetition.

I invested in some of those new microwavable steaming bags. It IS an investment... they are a little pricey. It was one of decisions I make occasionally in an effort to make the evening meal less traumatic at my house. Researcher Reed Larson's work has demonstrated that the emotional pit of most women's day is the time surrounding the evening meal. (I suspect he may have peered into my soul.) So, I had high hopes that the bags might provide a glimmer of hope.

My expectations were high, but we give them a thumbs up. We cooked our fresh broccoli in about 3 1/2 minutes, added seasonings to the bag, poured out the crucifers, and tossed the bag. You can also cook frozen vegetables in these miracle bags. On the downsides, the bags are a little small (we eat a lot of veggies). and we had to lower the suggested cooking time (otherwise, soggy broccoli would have resulted).

At the end of the meal, we all agreed that the bags are a worthwhile investment at least on those days when we are hurried. It is on those days when we might normally be tempted to forget any vegetable matter at our table. Hopefully, this tool will help reduce that mealtime stress at our house.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One thing you could consider to draw attention to the blog or site is to make some "awards" to products that support the principles you are promoting (or that just plain save time or contribute to managing work and life).

This could be an annual "top 5" list drawn from the products you have highlighted or reviewed in the past year......